CONTACT US

Our Story

our mission

First Presbyterian Church of Orange, Texas is a body of believers who exist to worship God, love people, and grow disciples. 

OUR history...

First Presbyterian Church began in the hearts and minds of a small group of Christian men and women of Presbyterian persuasion who had been worshipping with the Methodists but who yearned for a place of their own to worship.  They petitioned to Presbytery of Eastern Texas to organize a Presbyterian church in Orange, Texas.  On April 6, 1878, First Presbyterian Church was created.  The newly formed church held worship services and Sunday School in homes of the members.
The first church building was dedicated July 1, 1883 and was located on corner of Market and Polk Streets.  The congregation continued to worship in the little white building until 1912.  At that time, the current church building which is called the Lutcher Memorial Building, was given to the church by Mrs. Frances Ann Lutcher to honor the Henry Jacob Lutcher family.  The Lutcher Memorial Building was built in the classic Greek Revival architectural style and features 53 opalescent glass windows including the only opalescent glass dome in the United States.  An additional building was added to power the Lutcher Memorial Building; this building, now called the Power House, is used for youth and small group activities.  The Lutcher Memorial Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Texas Historical Commission.  Tours are available by appointment only.
From the beginning, First Presbyterian Church has been involved in missions.  From supporting missionaries in Korea and Taiwan in the early 1900s to ministering to seaman as they came in to port in Orange during the war to growing disciples here at home.  As a memorial to one of the missionaries, First Presbyterian Church, contributed to a well to supply water for a community in Korea.
First Presbyterian Church established two additional mission churches in Orange, Drake Memorial Church (located north of town) and The Hut (located in Orangefield).  Drake Memorial Church is still active today. First Presbyterian Church had a vision to establish a day school in 1948 that continues today.  Presbyterian Day School has a long history of growing the leaders of our community. Presbyterian Day School provides the educational foundation necessary for kindergarten readiness, as well as models and teaches Christian values. The school strives for excellence in early childhood education through the talents of highly trained teachers and a balanced curriculum aligned with the state standards and integrated with Bible-based lessons. In 1958, a new building was erected for the purpose of continuing with the education of children.  That building is still used today for the Day School and Sunday School.  First Presbyterian Church opened a soup kitchen to serve the community in 1984.  That mission continues today with serving meals twice a week.
Through its long history, the members of First Presbyterian have endeavored to serve God through discipleship to Christ.  The church has been blessed through the years and continues to pay those blessings forward. 

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 10 am.